Thursday, December 17, 2009

Fable 2


Fable 2 is an open world fantasy role playing game. That's pretty much a game where you play a character in a fantasy world and you can pretty much do whatever you want in the game. It gives the player a large world to explore and lots of quests to complete and skills to gain. I thought it was a really fun game, but there was one thing I wasn't to crazy about, the lack of story. As a student of Digital storytelling, I feel like narrative can be really important in games and it's something that more and more games are letting go of. There are ways to give the player more freedom without sacrificing narrative and I would love to explore those in my career as a game designer. I'm really interested in experimenting with branching narrative. Sort of making it like a "choose your own adventure" but have the decisions based more upon subtle things rather than flat out asking you "follow the knight or go back."
Don't get me wrong, there were some things I liked about Fable 2, but there were a lot of things that could be improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment