Friday, December 18, 2009

Watchmen


Watchmen, in my opinion, is one of the greatest comics ever written. Shamefully, I hadn't read it until after I heard they were making it into a movie, but I'm glad I finished reading it before the movie came out. Quite possibly my favorite thing about Watchmen is that none of the main heroes (other than Dr. Manhattan) have any super powers. They're just masked crime fighters, most of them are corrupted by something.
I think the movie adaptation is great from the standpoint of how closely they followed the comic. A lot of superhero movies recently have strayed so far from the original story that was intended to be told. They practically used the comic as the story board for the movie and the costuming and casting was spot on.
The one main problem I had with the movie was the lack of cultural significance it had compared to what the comic when it was originally written. It doesn't have quite the same meaning as it would have 20 years ago but i still enjoy it for what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment